Friday, February 2, 2018

Food for Thought

I feel like I'm closing in on recipes - I've used these this year!  And that's good because I Pin at three times the rate I cook.

Looking for something for the big game this weekend, there are a few recipes here that you could make for the buffet, to munch on.


I've got more than a few slider recipes pinned, these Kentucky Hot Brown Sliders are just one of about a dozen.  I love these pan-sliders because they come together quickly and work for busy nights when people are in and out at different times. I also like that I can adjust the amount of filling to help keep them in the "reasonable" column for calories, because some recipes will really pack in the calorie count.  I loved the creamy pimento spread that goes on these, it upped the gooey factor.  The turkey keeps calories in check, and you can either crop the bacon (you get the flavor without having two slices per slider) or go for a turkey bacon.  Generally speaking, I find that I have to increase my cook times with sliders - I have found I need to add 5 or 10 minutes covered, and another 5 minutes uncovered, to get a nice melty center.


These Easy Beans & Rice Burritos are full of flavor and are a great meatless option.  The thing that sells them is the cheese sauce - and the pico on top; I love pico with a queso.  Simple though it is, it was awesome.  The instructions give no measurements:  I used Velveeta White Queso cheese block, about half of the larger box, homemade chicken broth, instead of milk, (I found it gave me a smoother, thinner end-product to cover the casserole with) and I just eyeballed the green onions, probably three or four.  I've made the sauce a bit thicker (less chicken broth) and used it as a dip.   I've tried milk in this sauce and I prefer the broth, broth seemed to be able to avoid some of the "crustiness" that sometimes comes with making queso.


AMAZING, is the only way to describe this Pineapple Sheet Cake.  Holy cow.  Super moist because of the pineapple, with little bites of sweet bits in the cake.  Then topped with cream cheese frosting.  How can you miss?


These Healthy Chili and Quinoa Stuff Peppers were a warm comfort food.  Well spiced and gooey, you could sub in ground turkey, or leave out all meat for a great meatless option - increase either the quinoa or the beans, though.  


Okay, I lied.  I made these 3-Ingredient Cinnamon Rolls, with the Glaze from this recipe, for Christmas morning.  I set them up the night before and pulled them out before we headed to church on Christmas morning.  They were incredible - soft, gooey, and that vanilla on the bottom (make sure it's the Cook version, not instant.)  They are not for the calorie faint-of-heart, but sooo worth every delicious bite.

We've got a relatively full weekend.  The 9 y.o. has his play this evening and then a Boy Scout outing up at the School of Mines.  Other than that, and the Super Bowl, which is more Girlie and her clan, than us, it should be pretty low key.

Happy Friday,

Lori

No comments: