Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Re-color your chipboard, trims and letters!

Hey there! It's Maria, in December I had the privilege of working with the Bigger than a Breadbox kit which came with some fabulous papers and embellishments. I have a quick tutorial on using Glimmer Mist (or, spray ink) to color plain chipboard and other embellishments. Spray inks (Glimmer Mist, Shimmerz and Maya Mist) are a quick and easy way to give your embellishments a different look. Shimmerz and Glimmer Mist have a sheen to them (shake well to get the best results) and Maya Mists can be matte, or metallic, depending on the color chosen. I used Glimmer Mist, but any spray ink will work. First, prepare an area to use Glimmer Mist. I have a small area set-up in my basement (where I scrap) that is covered with newspaper, or old shipping boxes and is away from anything that could get stained (like carpet). For my "Everyday Picture" I sprayed the chipboard flourish in the Lily Bee kit with a Latte Glimmer Mist. It gave the chipboard a nice color and "sheen" to it.
Glimmer Mist can really be used on anything that is absorbent. For my "Anticipation" layout, I sprayed both the chipboard word and some white fabric Thickers (Red Velvet Glimmer Mist) to create my title. The Thickers ended up with a nice, vivid red from the Glimmer Mist and the chipboard word has a shimmer to it.
You can also color your ribbons and trims (like the trim that came in the Smaller than a Breadbox kit) with Glimmer Mist. To get the best results, spray the ribbon inside a zip-lock bag and squish the ribbon around to pick up all the ink. Let dry before adhering to your project.
One last way you can use your spray ink, is with a mask. Masks can be purchased or made yourself (coming in a later tutorial). For my "Sunshine" layout, I used a purchased mask (Tim Holtz, flourish). Simply lay the mask on the paper and spray. The mask is removed and can be wiped clean, or left as is. The ink will not affect the mask's use in anyway.
If you haven't tried spray ink, once you do, you might be hooked.
You can find Glimmer Mist, actually the Red Velvet used on the "Anticipation" layout, on the website now (and save 10%)- more will be coming soon, so you can stock up and see how easy they are for yourself.
Maria
Apron Strings Sous Chef

1 comment:

Rebecca K. said...

SWEET!!!! i LOVE my glimmer mist!!! unlike paint, i actually USE it!!! thanks for the tutorial, strangely, i'd never thought of this!!