Friday, February 15, 2013

Soup on Friday and Love Your Stash - Day 10

I couldn't seem to pull together my game menu plan this week.  Which, as it's turning out is just fine given that I've fixed a total of one meal all week. . .and it was leftovers.  My hubby and oldest son have been crisscrossing the city this week attending the eighth grade boys' basketball playoff games, all of which take place during the dinner hour.  Bonus, I think I'm finally scrapping the bottom of the 'fridge when it comes to leftovers.

It's Friday, and for us it's Lent and that means no meat.  I've found, actually, since I've been menu planning I have at least one meatless meal a week anyway.  I think I may have finally convinced certain members of my family that, yes, soup can be a meal - there have been debates about the validity of this idea in the past.  This particular soup, Sherried Tomato Soup from The Pioneer Woman (love her!!) is fast, delicious and perfect for a warm end to a cold day meal.  Pair it up with grilled cheese, garlic toast, even veggie egg rolls and you've got a meal that will keep warm on the stove while you tuck yourself away to crop.  


Today's Love Your Stash Challenge is inspired by Wendi Robinson's card, using the February All Year Cheer Card Kit.  This card, with a couple exceptions, is all paper.  Your challenge is to create a layout, card or other creation using almost all paper.  


Layers make projects appear there is more embellishing going on than there really is.  What can you do with paper?  Let's see:

  • Cut or punch shapes - like the circle pennant is two circles, stacked and, in this case sewn together,  but you could staple, glue, tape or put a brad through the center to create a similar effect and then "string" on a length of Baker's Twine
  • Cut or punch flowers and layer, or tuck a small button, brad or gem in the middle
  • Cut thin strips and pleat to create a border or frame
  • Layer different lengths and shapes - like the strip of yellow polka dots over the block of pink, with a tag layered over the top
  • Distress edges to create texture
  • Ink edges to provide depth
  • Cut or punch circles to create your own buttons
  • Cut or punch rectangles and squares to make tags
  • Crumple and smooth papers to provide texture
  • Cut out simple shapes or designs from patterned papers and pop-up on a pop/glue dot.
  • Add glitter to make simple shapes pop - like the Aqua Flower above.
  • Groups smaller items to give them more weight on your project.
Remember for simple shapes, you don't need punches, just trace and cut.  All layouts, cards and paper projects are due to be linked up by Sunday evening for your chance at winning the Authentique "Uncommon" line.  All you need is one project linked up to be eligible - more just improves your odds and depletes your stash a touch more.

As I haven't worked a stitch on my sock, I see me joining the "one sock and done" club at tomorrow's class. :(  If life throws me a bone this weekend, I hope to tackle some of my to-do's (my tabbed to-do's - I just settled for sticky notes cut down to tabs) and move ahead with catching up on One Little Word and Project Life.

Happy Friday,


No comments: