Friday, July 5, 2013

Post 4th


 
 

 
Yesterday was more of a Sunday-type day for us than a normal Sunday; we did practically nothing.  Before the heat in the kitchen got out of hand, I tackled a batch of strawberries I had macerating overnight.  I got them canned up and still had five pounds of strawberries left so I did another no-cook batch - this one without the overnighting.  11 pints later. . .  I did a little laundry and not a whole lot else.  I putzed.  I puttered.  We had plans to head to our local fireworks show and I decided to make dinner at the last minute - we had been grazing all day and nobody seemed overly hungry, but by the time it was ready we were.  And by the time dinner was over it was time to head out for the show.

 
I planned my menu this week using my Pinterest "I Can Cook That" board and between sheer laziness and changes in plans I didn't cook much.  So what I didn't make I'll just move out to next week.  Last night I made these Pretzel Dogs and they were easy to put together (even with making the dough) and they were good!
 
 
I'm still working on my Day #3 challenge for the Big Picture Phone Photography class just because of the nature of the challenge.  Day #4's was Summer Harvest.  The recipe for Buttermilk Skillet Cake was from Pinterest and the strawberries I used were from the local Farmer's Market. 
 
Day #5 was Family.  I snapped this shot of the kids while we were walking to the fireworks show last night.  I love how they usually walk in this formation and one of them typically will carry, unasked, their brother.
 
 
Today the 90 degrees continues.  Washing the blankets from last night's festivities and I braved the heat (and the sweating) to get my long-awaited tomatoes planted and some cilantro and parsley.  The basil I rooted from a grocery store bundle is going crazy (I didn't know when I plopped that bunch in water, it would root) - gonna need to find some fresh basil recipes.  Maybe a strawberry basil jam!  I still have two pounds of berries.
 
I'm looking forward to some time with some scrapbook supplies tonight.  Hubby is going to take our usual Friday Night Dinner on the road so that I can head out to play.  You can finish the week off strong with today's final key to your original burger selection:
 
  • Beef Patty = Plaid Patterned Paper
  • Turkey Patty = Floral Patterned Paper
  • Lettuce = Sheer Ribbon
  • Mixed Greens = Use Your Punches or a Pre-punched Piece (if you have no punches)
  • Slaw = Banner
  • Cheddar Cheese = Transparency/Overlay
  • Pepper Jack Cheese = Border - precut or from a sheet
  • Blue Cheese = Polka Dot embellishment
  • BBQ Sauce = Pins
  • Bacon = Metal Clips
  • Red Onions = Photo Corners
  • Onion Rings = Book plate
  • Sweet Peppers = Tags
  • Tomatoes = Cardstock Stickers
  • Mustard = Alphabet
  • Ketchup = Rub-ons
  • Mayo = Twill Trim
  • White Bun = Wood Embellishment
  • No Bun = Specialty Paper
  • Specialty Bun = Make your own embellishment
  •  
    Okay, so you have until Sunday night to get this week's challenges done.  Doing so puts you in a drawing for a Gift Code to Apron Strings.  Doing the challenges this week automatically enrolls you in the July Prize Pack.  Which reminds me I need to draw for June.
     
     
     Happy Friday,
     

    4 comments:

    wendipooh13 said...

    way to go on the jam!!! I hate getting store bought now as learning to make my own.. great fireworks pics!!

    Donna Nuce said...

    My last card for the challenge.
    Beef Patty = Plaid Pattern Paper
    Red Onion = Photo Corners
    Blue cheese = Polka Dot Embellishment
    Mustard - Alphabet
    Specialty Bun = Make your own embellishment

    http://craftycolonel.blogspot.com/2013/07/hbd2u.html

    Lori S @ Apron Strings said...

    Thanks Wendi - I'm hoping to make up some Lemon Blueberry this week. I'd like to say "when it cools down" but that's not happening until October! ;(

    Lori S @ Apron Strings said...

    Love your card, Donna! So great.