Monday, June 15, 2009

Perfectly Punched!

I had so much fun working with this sketch for June from Becky -as always! I knew I wanted to use my circle punch to make the cut-outs like in the sketch, but there was one small problem: it is almost impossible to line up your paper while it is inside a circle punch to get an even "row" of cut-outs across your paper as in the sketch below. After I cut out my first circle I sat there for a minute trying to figure out how exactly I was going to line up my paper. Well, the first semi-circle cut-out was laying on my table and I had one of those EUREKA! moments. First thing to do is cut out your first semi-circle.
In the next step you will need some type of glue dot or small adhesive square.
You will affix the semi-circle cut-out EXACTLY where you want your next cut to be made. I turned my paper over (white side up) so that you could see it better in the photo.
Now the EUREKA! part. Slip the paper back into your punch so that the cut-out is exactly centered inside your punch area and PUNCH!
And PRESTO! you now have two perfectly aligned punched shapes.
Then repeat the process across your paper until you have the number you want.
This technique would work on any type punch really. You could use a smaller circle and put the punches close together and make your own scalloped border. The possibilities are only limited by your imagination.
Kristi Bergin-Smith
Apron Strings Sous Chef
*Above layout created with products from the June Bigger-than-a-Breadbox kit.
Journaling Reads: "Recipe for a Merry Christmas: To a cup of tradition, time-honored and dear, Add a generous portion of holiday cheer, Combine with the memories of Christmases past, Then sprinkle the mixture with joy unsurpassed. Add a dash or good spirits, stir fondly until... You set it to rise in the warmth of good will. Pour love over all in generous measure, And garnish with laughter and heartwarming pleasure. "

No comments: