Thursday, October 25, 2012

Boo Banner Tutorial

I've said it before, but Kristin Perez is like queen-o'the-altered items.  And she showcases her talent, in all its glory here. . .
Hello fellow Apron Strings Lovers! I have been decorating for Halloween at my house - have you been decorating for Halloween or maybe Fall? I have a shoestring budget so there has been a lot of recreating high end craft store pieces with what I have at my house: paint, glue, and finds from the dollar store, garage sales and thrift stores.Take a look at my witch's corner!
The witch silhouette is just a googled image printed out and placed on scrapbook paper. I glued that inside a frame I found at a garage sale for fifty cents. The "stack" of spell books? A tissue box bought for a dollar with titles created by me! The raven is from the dollar store and perched on a decorated tuna can! The witches hat is a paper mache number painted black - the flowers from the October Bigger Than a Breadbox Kit look fabulous on a witches hat! Just Saying!
To complete my witches corner a banner was in order and I LOVED the October Afternoon Witch Hazel papers and decided they must be on display!
Witch's Corner
A close up of the banner!

Here is how I made my banner -
  • I printed out a template for my banner from here at The Fiskars website. I used the pieces on page four of the document.
  • I printed my BOO letter circles from The Graphic Fairy blog. LOVE her site!
  • I traced the flag pieces on cardstock from the October Bigger Than a Breadbox Kit. I traced the flag topper onto pattern paper from the kit. I used the top of the October Afternoon Star Thistle (ledger side) paper because the words at the top of the paper went along with my theme.
  • After inking and distressing my pieces I thought it needed something more ...

I wanted a smaller piece of pattern paper in the middle of my pennant flag so I marked off a half an inch from the edge of the flag on each side. So I ended up with the following -

I cut the piece out and traced it on the October Afternoon Elixir of Eucalyptus paper. I also fussy cut some of the images from October Afternoon Cauldron Bubble to use on my banner. Using twine from the kit I hung the banner in my Witch's corner.

Here is the finished banner!
 
 
Hope the holidays gets you crafty!
You can totally take this idea and run - "Thanks" and "Joy" are just two ideas, along with scraps from your Apron Strings kits.  Thanks Kristin for another great idea!
 

Posted by Picasa

No comments: