Wednesday, August 14, 2013

My Thoughts on Project Life

We're more than halfway through the year and, 1) I wonder how that happened and, 2) find that I'm plenty behind Project Life-wise.  Surprised?  Not one bit, I expect.

I knew I wanted to do Project Life for 2013 and I had a good routine going at the first of the year, along with my plan - phone photos and stash usage.  Then I fell off the wagon, just momentarily, but it was enough to throw me completely off.  Always does.  Always has.  I know this and I'm not letting it mess with me.  I've given myself PERMISSION (my 2013 One Little Word) to be behind and be okay.  I'm still taking photos, have a good stash printed, and I've had the chance here and there to create my pages.

Given the formula above here are my mid-year thoughts about the project.  

  • One of my favorite things about Project Life is that it holds all those random photos I want, and do, take that may not necessarily make sense in my traditional albums.  I don't have to have this stack of seemingly unrelated photos that I have to somehow tie together to create a traditional layout.  Done is better than perfect.  Not being a one-photo scrapper, PL makes sense for me.  It allows me to document our lives' tiny details.   
  • I still love that I'm using my stash.  I've dug into my supplies and found very old kits that have inspired me either to use in PL or on regular layouts.  
  • I think I put too much pressure on myself to make my layouts unique. Done is better than perfect. It takes longer than it should, given the photos are all the same size, already edited and cropped.  I should have, and will now, adapt a standardized layout when I choose to scrap a 12 x 12 layout.  I'm thinking a grid-format should do nicely - which is what sort of evolved on its own anyway.  This is where it would be helpful to pay attention to what your own work is telling you.
  • I knew I would incorporate pocket pages and I think I waited too long to do so.  I told myself I wanted to use up the page protectors that came with the album while I figured what layout of pocket pages would work best, but I knew.  I think I secretly thought I could keep up on regular pages, and I might have if I had adopted a standard layout for the entire album.  I fought wanting to use full kits vs. chopping them up for the ease of pocket pages and getting it done.  Done is better than perfect.  I have a nice supply of pocket pages now - 4" grids - and I'm hoping this weekend, the last before school starts, that I can whip some pages up. 
  • I love that PL is immediate.   Done is better than perfect.  It's quick, when you have a plan and stick to it.  It's something that's out, NOW, for people to flip through.  The album sits on the coffee table and I love that.
  •  Done is better than perfect.  It's a quick feed to my creative side.
Will I do this again for 2014?  I think I might - it'll be my daughter's Senior year (sob), my 14 y.o. will be driving (sob) and my 12 y.o.'s final year at his current school (sob).  There are tiny details to capture.  With the three older kids having phones I may incorporate their photos into the book as well.  I already get random odd photos of the 4 y.o. on my phone and they are in my current PL.

Will I use a kit?  Probably not.  I have enough stash to continue to use it and just trim it down - though the appeal of pre-cut material is nice.  I will, however, embrace from the beginning the pocket-page.

Will I continue to scrapbook in traditional 12 x 12 layouts?  Yep.  The larger events and themes will continue to be scrapped in the traditional manner.  

If you're interested in Project Life and all the different takes on it, do a quick search on Pinterest or Instagram to see how people adopt the process to fit their lives.  I'm loving it.  Behind and all.

Happy Wednesday,


No comments: