Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Da Vinci In the House

The boys' school generally has one large event for every grade level - usually surrounding a unit of study.  We've had 100 Day Celebration, Johnny Appleseed Day, Rendezvous Day, Colonial Day, Ameritowne and then this year, the Ed Fair which just passed and today Medieval Day.  My 6th grader has spent the better part of this trimester studying that era, and today caps it off.  They have food (turkey legs, fruits, flat bread, no plates or silverware - my boy is psyched about that), games and their presentations.  

Leonardo here is in a costume made up from at least six separate costumes or items.  As a mom, I'm pretty proud of that (see I knew there was a reason to keep all those Halloween costumes!) and he is very happy with the over all look.  I know he was skeptical when I started suggesting things to pull out.  Well, here is the list. . .I guess I can see his point - Superman cape worn inside-out, Jedi Knight robes, "possibles bag" from Rendezvous Day (4th grade), soccer warm ups, a wool driving cap worn sideways, his mother's brown leather boots - they come up to his knees as was the fashion o'the day - and his sister's woven leather belt.  His presentation is on the back of his painting and his satchel holds some of his other famous drawings.  I gotta say, he's rockin' the da Vinci.


Today's color inspiration from the Apron Strings Color Theory board is


With one girl, who is far removed from her "Pink Girlie Days," I don't get to use this color combo much myself.  But I have used it recently. . .enter a Project Life page I did a week or so ago, using the February '11 Smaller than a Breadbox kit.


More recently this color combo was found in both the February '13 kits - the Bigger with Basic Grey's True Love and Authentique's Lovely in the Smaller kit.  There is a Basic Grey Second Helping paper pack and a TV Dinner of the Authentique lines, if you want to play with those.

Here Maria Swiatkowski using the Smaller kit, the Lovely line, for showing off her 100-Day Celebration.


And Kristin Perez uses the Bigger kit, the True Love line, for a more traditional take on the Valentine's day papers.


Remember use these kits if you have them.  If not, find items in your own stash inspired by the color pallet for today.  Then come, share your work by linking it up in the comment section for your shot at winning the May American Crafts Hello Sunshine sampler.


Happy Wednesday,

No comments: