Thursday, October 24, 2013

Halloween Party Decoration Tutorial

Today, I bring you a tutorial - this one by Kristin Perez.  She took the October '13 Bigger than a Breadbox kit - the Pebbles Thirty-One side and used it to create some of the decorations for her Halloween party.  Check out all the things she did!  And genius move with the letters!!
You are cordially invited to a

Spooky Soiree

Complete with Terrible Treats and Spirits Galore!

Halloween is a favorite holiday around our house. Graveyard on our front lawn, home décor replaced by witchy goods and creepy apothecary jars filled with ooey gooey yucks, and a party for neighbors, friends and family.

I used my Pebbles Thirty One line in my Apron Strings October Bigger Than a Breadbox kit to create a drink table and food signs for my terrible treats and spirits galore.
 
I wanted to share with you these party ideas and a tutorial for a washi tape ruffle.

Costume Contest

I used the Countdown paper and the number strip on the reverse side of the barcode strip on the Hocus Pocus paper to decorate my skeleton statues. I cut out the numbers on the number strip and used them on the skeletons’ banners.

I used the Mystical paper for a frame for my contest rules sign.


Terrible Treats Table

I used the Dreadful paper as a background for all of my creepy food labels. My daughter Amory loves skulls and wanted me to save the paper for her - another paper saver like her momma. I could not be more proud!
Spirits Table

This has to be my favorite set up!

I created the signage from the Mystical paper with clever sayings printed out on my computer. For the straw holder I used the Witches Brew paper and a spider cut from the Countdown paper. The sparkly swirl in the embellishments was the perfect finishing touch! I created a wrap for the water bottles from the Witches Brew paper and the Countdown paper. If you are worried about your pretty paper being destroyed by ice or water wrap a piece of clear shipping tape around the bottle over your pretty paper. It is the perfect width and super simple to apply!


 
And the Spirits banner was made completely from the Pebbles ThirtyOne line in my Apron Strings October Bigger Than a Breadbox kit.

Spirits Banner
My banner was fun and simple to make.
I used the two sheets of light orange cardstock in my kit and cut it into eight squares - 6 x 6” each. I trimmed one side by one inch so I now had a 5 x 6” rectangle. I cut a notch in the bottom to make my banner shape.

I used some very old Basic Gray letters in my stash to spell out Spirits. However the snowman, holly and flowers printed on the letters were not very Halloween. I used the ink pad in the kit to color my letters. I attached them to some scrap cardstock and rubbed the ink pad all over to make them the aged brown/black color that was perfect.
 
I used the reverse side of the barcode strips, the Hocus Pocus paper, the Dreadful paper, the washi tape, brads and orange crystals in the embellishments pack to create my banner.
 
Now I would like to share with you how to make the washi tape ruffle.
Washi Tape Ruffle Tutorial
  • Take the washi tape from your kit and tear, or cut off two fairly long lengths of tape depending on how long you want your ruffle to be. I found that I cut 1 ½ times the length of my ruffle it gave me enough (and a little more) to create my ruffle. My finished ruffle needed to be 5 ½” long so my strips were 8 ¼” long.
  • Take the two lengths and adhere them to each other sticky sides together. This will make it easier to create the ruffle without it sticking where you don’t want it to.
  • Simply fold over a little section and staple it as close to the top as possible, and repeat it over and over creating a ruffle. Staple as close to the top as you can so that you have lots of the ruffle showing since the stapled part will be hidden under a strip of patterned paper. 
Thank you for stopping by! Apply these party ideas to any party - spooky or not!
Kristin

Awesome work - looks like a yummy and fun party.  Lots of great ideas, thanks so much Kristin.

Croptober will be posted separately.

Happy Thursday,

No comments: