Friday, June 6, 2014

Food and a First (aka Stashbusters #12)

I'm running a tad late today.  I'm gonna blame my start. . .I was at Starbucks, meeting a friend and I was there longer than I expected.  Starbucks is attached to Barnes & Noble and I needed to pick up a book for the 13 y.o..  Which led me to wandering aisles and looking at, well, books.  I love books. . .I could spend hours in bookstores and libraries.

I came home to deal with household stuff that didn't get done while I was gone, so my day just got shoved back a bit.  But I'm here now.  I had hoped to scrapbook a little this afternoon, but it'll just have to wait until after dinner.  I've some Lessons to catch up on, I think four or five from my current Big Picture Classes class, Sketch Solutions.

Last weekend I managed to whip through five challenges/lessons.   Today I'm sharing the final challenge from the StashBusters class - Challenge #12, was about using your favorite manufacturer, collection or kit. 

I have a couple favorite manufacturers . . . one is October Afternoon.  I've liked them since their first collection debuted; they've been in many an Apron Strings kit since.  This is Ducks in a Row and was a Blue Plate Special from a few years ago.


I again converted a one-page sketch into two. And, believe it or not, this is the first. . .FIRST. . .layout for my 5 y.o.'s baby book.  It's also the first page that features him.  He's been on other layouts, but not one that's just about him.  How sad is that, I ask you? 

I was nervous to start, but in the end doing this page makes me want to do more for his book.  I'll need to see how I laid out his siblings' books so I can do something similar with his.  I know I don't need to make them the same, but what can I say, it's the mom in me.

To get all that cropping done last weekend, and what I hope to accomplish this weekend, my menu was simple and quick.  This week I used Pinterest again for the bulk of my dinner plans.


  • Easy Cherry Cobbler - When I make a cherry dessert the recipe usually calls for Tart Cherries (which I still have in the freezer from our picking a couple years ago - we'll be making a trip this year to restock).  This recipe calls for sweet, which are in season.  I love cherries, so I'm good with that. And this was awesome!  Totally worth the cherry dyed fingers.  I topped it with homemade vanilla ice cream instead of cream, but that would have been great too!
  • Apple BBQ Pulled Chicken Sandwiches (and Apple Slaw) - made this on Monday for the in-law dinner.  It was hot on Monday, so having this in the Slow Cooker was a nice break from standing over the stove.  I used chicken thighs instead of breasts (I think they hold up better in the cooker.)  It was good.  I'd probably toss a couple more thighs in to up the chicken to sauce ratio, and next time I'll make my own BBQ.  It was a good lunch the next day.
  • Turkey Quinoa Taco Lettuce Wraps - I had corn tortillas on hand, so I used them instead of lettuce to wrap up the turkey.  They were really good.  I usually use my own taco seasoning, but I was out (note to self, mix up some more!), luckily I had some packaged stuff on hand.  The Quinoa not only upped the nutrition, but stretched the turkey a bit.  Even with the kids hoarking it down, we had enough for two more tacos the next day.  Served with the usual sides (tomato, lettuce, avocado, sour cream) for us, but instead of shredded cheese I used Queso Fresco.
  • 30 Minute Chicken Cordon Bleu Pasta - this was quick even with making my own cream of chicken substitute.  I used up leftover diced ham and rotisserie chicken I had in the freezer.  It was creamy and rich.  Perfect for a cool, rainy afternoon.
  • Asian Grilled Chicken - This was good, but would have been much, much better had I read the part about marinating for at least four hours.  I vacuum marinated it instead, and while it was moist and had some good flavor, it would have been tops if I'd let it marinate as called for.  I used chicken tenders instead of breasts and served them up with rice and egg rolls.  They would make a great wrap the next day.
Other than continuing to haul things to the garage sale pile, and even that is here and there during the weekend, my plan is to play.  That's what summer is all about, right?

Happy Friday,

No comments: