Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Stash Busting

I think I covered all the major categories in scrapbook products when I posted several Stash Busting posts.  If I missed something and you want to see it, leave me a comment and I'll do what I can.

Now, personally, I don't keep scraps.  I'll hold on to a paper if it's 6x12" or bigger, but if I used up all the coordinating paper, it goes to the Kindergarten at the youngest's school.  Smaller, in general, gets tossed.  I have tried to make cards immediately following a layout and that has mixed results.  I've tried to stack up 6x6", or larger, scraps to do a marathon session of card making - this almost never works, unless I'm taking a card class.  So, for me and what I know about how I work, scraps just collect dust and thus have no place in my stash.

However, I have wondered how I can make more use of patterned papers while they are in my grasp.  So, today it's a sort of stash busting - maybe scrap busting - and I went looking for something I didn't need punches, or die-cutting machines for; both of which I have, but not everyone does.  Or I might be too lazy to set up my machine or dig through my punches.



Now, these flowers provide inspiration to transfer to a layout or card.  The shapes are easy to create by hand - tear-drops and scallops.  Circles can be traced using anything, or free-handed for a cute look.  For these, just layer.  I like the buttons and the little stitches.  Easy-peasy!


Didn't we all learn to make hearts in Kindergarten?  Fold paper in half and cut out a tear-drop shape.  Oh, sure, there were times the rounded top needed reshaping, but it was totally doable.  Transfer that long-learned skill to create these layered heart- shaped flowers.  Dig out a couple mini buttons or brads to complete.


I know.  It's a circle and you don't have a punch, but surely you can find something small and round to trace:  spool of thread, shot glass, half-dollar, votive candle, small bottle of paint.  Trace, cut and fold to create these blooms.  Think how cute they'd be with vibrant "b sides" to your patterned paper choices.  Just a reminder, keep the patterns small,if your blooms are small.


Same idea, here, to create this circle flower.  Slightly overlapping the edges creates a wider bloom.  Tighten up the overlapping to create a smaller shape.  Pop a threaded button in the center and boom.


This can be a totally free-form pattern.  Create on leaf pattern and trace.  This flower uses six different, yet coordinating, patterns.  You can go as big or small as you wish.  I like the off-center look of this one, down in the corner of a page, or coming off the center-edge of a layout.  The stitching is a nice touch.  If it's too tedious for you, ink the edges, fray them or curl them up.


There are a couple ways to make these scallop flowers.  The easiest is to get over your fear and free-hand.  The second, Google for the shape.  The third, layout out six circles to create the shape, and trace the outline.  Make them as big or small as you wish.  Layer together different sizes and patterns.  Finish it off with a stitched a button or attach a brad to the center.

A few more ideas on what to do with that patterned paper while I'm working with it.

Go.  Create.

No comments: