Friday, May 30, 2014

Friday Mash-Up

Yesterday, the sound of snoring high schoolers echoed well into the late morning throughout the school district - unless they missed a day of finals, then their snoring is echoing today.  Or, if your house was TP'd, then you were up early cleaning it up.  All I can say about that is it better be the first, last and ONLY time!

But, with the close of finals, the school year ends as well.  Which means, I now have a Sophomore and a Senior.  A SENIOR.  A Senior people!  S.E.N.I.O.R.  Case in point came late last week when I was the recipient of a large enveloped stuffed with photographer's brochures for Senior Photos.  Overwhelmed by all the information coming at me in full-color glossy wonder, confused by the sheer amount of unorganized information and utterly shocked by the prices (are they freaking kidding me. . .$250 for a sitting fee with photo packages starting. . .STARTING at $300???)  Unfortunately, I think it's only the tip of the money iceberg and that we'll be bleeding money all over her Senior year.  The Kindergartner was out last week.  My 7th grader will finish up today (you can't imagine his excitement to still be in school)  - after his two hours, yes two hours.  What the. . .Really?? . . .What's the point?  I'm hoping his early release will free up my day to play.

Today it's all about sending the older two off with two of their Aunts to San Diego and the long-trained-for Rock 'n Roll Half Marathon.  It was suggested that I go with them.  I'd love to go.  Love to watch them compete in the race.  Love to spend some time with my sisters.  Love to visit with my own Aunt and Uncle.  Love to just go.  But this is something for just the four of them...something that wouldn't be the same with a parent along.  I'll be content with the photos they better send me and their stories.

Last summer I took The Phone Photography Project class and it was awesome.  This summer BPC is offering Phone Photography 2.  I loved it last year and learned a ton.  Got some great tips and some fun apps.  I'm planning on taking it again, if only for the daily prompts.  If you're looking to get more of the everyday, or just experiment with photo opportunities, this is an awesome class.  It's a little pricier than the average class, but I felt like I got my money's worth.


This week my menu plan was all Pinterest.
  • Roast Beef and Butter Sandwiches - these really don't require a recipe, so it's a head-slapper moment.  They were really good and perfect for a hubby's out of town dinner.  The only change I'd make is I'll griddle-toast my rolls instead of doing them in the oven.  My oven just didn't get them buttery-toasty enough. 
  • Greek Garbanzo Bean Salad - even though I forgot to add the Feta, this was a great side.  I'm sure the Feta would have over-the-topped-it.  Add some sliced chicken and it'll be a great summer meal.
  • Raspberry Rhubarb Coffee Cake - so I guess "coffee cake" escaped me when I read the recipe.  But even if I had read it, I'd have ignored it.  I'm all about getting as much rhubarb in my mouth as possible this time of year.  We had this for dessert after dinner and it was awesome!  Sweet.  Tart.  Dense.  Moist.  Crunchy topping.  I served it with a side of homemade vanilla ice cream.  Look out.
  • Beef Chimichangas - Super simple.  We use uncooked tortillas that we get from Costco.  I will never go back to national-brand cooked tortillas, they're too thick for one thing.  These uncooked ones are so good and fresh and take 5 minutes to cook up.  They are thinner too, which makes them super light and crunchy for this recipe and for Strawberry Cheesecake Chimichangas.
  • Bell Pepper Slaw - I'm making this tonight.  The dressing is good (I love a non-creamy slaw) so I'm expecting to love this.  I only used three peppers (red, yellow and orange) instead of the five the recipe calls for - I forgot to pick up a green one and I can only find purple at the farmer's market.  Still, looking at the end product, five might have been too many anyway.
  • Fresh Strawberry Rhubarb Pie - This is tonight's dessert.  Rhubarb.  Hello?  See above.  I'm sure it'll be heavenly.  And bonus, I still have that homemade vanilla ice cream.  Yippee for me.  Boo for my belly-jiggle.
  • Slow Cooker Saucy Ribs - Tonight's main course.  Other than needing to Google "boneless pork lion ribs" (they're country ribs, and if they're not, that's what I'm using) it smells good.  It'll be interesting to see how the Allspice in the rub works.  I'm sure I'll make them again, and when I do, I'll make up a BBQ sauce from one of the one's I've got pinned.
Looking back it was a nice full week.  Hopefully a productive weekend is on the horizon.

Happy Friday,

No comments: